The ancient prophet peered through the corridors of time and declared, “For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on His shoulders. And He will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace” (Isaiah 9:6). I can think of no other prophecy more relevant for us today.
Along with fond memories of opening gifts and throwing snowballs, do the holidays recall sad reflections in your heart? Today, the Wonderful Counselor offers you hope. Has life buried you under the weight of stress, deadlines, and bills? Next Sunday, December 9th, the Mighty God will offer you hope. Is it difficult to trust God and others with your future because of lingering hurt in the past? On Sunday, December 16th, the Everlasting Father will offer you hope. Is your soul churning with anxiety? On Sunday, December 23rd, the Prince of Peace will offer you hope.
Join us this Christmas season and be inspired by the music you’ll hear, the fragrances you’ll smell, the lights you’ll see, the refreshments you’ll taste, and the people you’ll meet. To borrow an image from C. S. Lewis’s novel, That Hideous Strength, I’m praying that we’ll all be awestruck by the “ancient magic” of Christmas. Most importantly, be encouraged that Hope Has a Name—and His name is Jesus.
Matt Friend • Senior Pastor
Financial Health Seminar: Lawyers & Wills & Estates…Oh My!
Monday, Dec. 3 • 6:30 PM • Rm. 3105/06 • Free • Estate planning, fiduciaries, trusts, and more. Estate Attorney(s) from Kay Casto & Chaney will also be there to answer questions. Registration preferred, but not required. All adults invited!
Available Positions at Bible Center School
- Security Receptionist • Mondays-Wednesdays, 4-6 PM. Contact Stephanie Schafer (304) 941-1704).
- Part-Time After Care Attendant • Thursdays – Fridays 3-5:30 PM. Contact Stephanie Schafer (304) 941-1704).
- Part-Time Preschool Aide • Contact Machelle Huffman (304) 941-1710).
OWLS Breakfast & Baskets (55+)
Saturday, Dec. 8 • 9 AM • Gathering Space • We will have a delicious breakfast and assemble Christmas baskets to deliver to shut-ins and to those with special needs in our church family. RSVP by Nov. 30. Questions? Contact Judy Mercer.
- Help with ongoing flood recovery in Clendenin. If interested, attend the meeting today between services in the Living Room (2101) or email Michelle.
- Donate hats, gloves, and socks for the homeless. Drop them off at the Info Desk labeled Michelle Thompson.
- Deliver furniture to foster families and the newly re-housed (homeless) population – we are seeking drivers who own trucks.
- Help at a Warming Station for the homeless on nights when it drops below 0° F. Volunteer to cook large pots of homemade soup, work check-in, or assess for frostbite (medical professionals).
- Tutor children on weekday afternoons who are living in local homeless shelters.
- Drive a City Bus route to pick up people for Sunday church service.
Student Ministry Christmas Party
Dec. 8 • 7-9 PM • Church campus • Middle School and High School. Join us for lip sync battles and crazy games! Email or text your song to Pastor Josh (304) 206-2857 or Pastor Matt (304) 550-9166.
Christmas in Early Childhood (EC)
If you have a tree you will not use, would you consider loaning or donating it? Contact Jess Backus (304-941-2836).
Dodgeball Tournament (3rd-5th)
Saturdays • Jan. 12-Feb. 2 • RAM Center, Bible Center School • Gather your friends, name your team, and sign up! Each team needs 4-6 players, but each person must register separately by Dec. 29 (for emergency information). Cost: $5 for a pizza party on the last day.