Welcome to church! I’m so glad you’re here.
Today is message #6 in our Summer in the Psalms series. We’re studying an assortment of Psalms in response to God’s invitation to pray through our pain, fear, doubt, and unfulfilled longings. You can listen or watch the first five messages on our app or website.
Has life ever felt unfair? Have you ever felt as though life’s pain and suffering seem unjust or imbalanced? If so, you’re not alone. In today’s message from Psalm 79, we’ll hear the poet’s cry for justice, for relief, for an audience with God, and for hope.
About Psalm 79, biblical scholar Walter Brueggemann wrote, “New life is never a gift in a vacuum. It is wrought in profound and dangerous struggle as we bring to visibility the deep incongruity that marks our life. Our life is one in which all that is finally holy is violated, day by day. Yet, we dare hope for possibilities that move us beyond the wrenching, venomous indignation. Biblical faith is not romantic. It reckons with the evil, and it knows that the evil strikes at all that is crucial and most precious. It requires and permits us to move beyond the venom to the Lord of ruined temples.”
Today I’ll share five ways to respond when life doesn’t seem fair.
With deep love for you and our entire congregation,
Matt Friend • Senior Pastor
BCS Employment Opportunities
Contact Principal Stephanie Schafer (304-941-1704) if you are interested in any of the following positions:
- Full-time 6th-8th Grade English & Reading – B.A. in Education, Certification in English preferred
- Full-time 4th-5th Grade Teacher
- Part-time Security Receptionist (Wed.-Fri.)
Global Leadership Summit
August 8-9 • 9:30 AM-4:30 PM • Your influence matters… Learn how to maximize it. Gain insight and practical tips from industry leaders such as Craig Groeschel, Danielle Strickland, Patrick Lencioni, and more! BibleCenterChurch.com/GLS.
GEMS Events (Widows):
- Luncheon at Panera • Saturday, July 13 • 12-2 PM • Panera (Southridge) • Dutch treat. RSVP to Suzanne Lackey (304-345-9345) or just join us!
- Picnic • Saturday, July 27 • 12:30-2:30 PM • Gathering Space • RSVP by July 15 to Judy; (304-346-0431).
OWLS: A Night of Musical Memories (Adults 55+)
Friday, July 26 • 6 PM • The RIM, Bible Center School • $5 • Enjoy dinner and musical favorites from your younger years. Sign up online or email Judy. Bring a side dish to go with sliders.
Vacation Bible School Volunteer Opportunity
Help with registration, crafts, or in a classroom. Middle School students through adults are welcome. Sign up online or on the app. Or contact:
- Jess Backus to serve in Early Childhood;
- Pastor Steve to serve in K-5th grades; and
- Emily King to serve in Special Needs.
Cribs (Middle & High School)
Wednesdays in July • 6:00-7:30 PM • Stay connected and hang out with friends. Meets at different host homes each week. Check the online schedule.
Kings Island Trip (High School)
July 9, 6:30 AM- July 10, 1:00 AM • Cost: $35 plus food money for the entire day. Register online or on the app today!
MARK YOUR CALENDARS
- July 14-18 | VBS
- Aug. 8-9 | Global Leadership Summit
- Aug. 12 | School starts
- Aug. 24 | Bob Smiley, Christian Comedian
- Sept. 9 | Outdoor Baptism
- Sept. 13-14 | Women’s Fall Event
- Sept. 22 | Lunch on the Lawn
- Sept. 27-28 | Belong: Membership Weekend