Dear Bible Center family & friends,
Welcome to church! Thanks for visiting in person or tuning in via the internet or TV.
Today we begin a new series titled, “Media on the Mount,” examining Jesus’ famous Sermon on the Mount in light of our media (and social media) habits.
Jim Morrison observed, “Whoever controls the media controls the mind.” We’ll not soon forget the reflection of Malcolm X, “The media is the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent. They control the minds of the masses.”
If this was true in the last century, how much more is it true today? Brené Brown reflects, “Social media has given us this idea that we should all have a posse of friends when, in reality, if we have one or two really good friends, we are lucky.” And then there’s that famous declaration of President Abraham Lincoln, “Don’t believe everything you read on the internet just because there’s a picture with a quote next to it.”
Okay, I admit… That last quote is a farce, but you get the idea.
One of the greatest needs of our day is understanding our place on social media and properly discerning the role of all media in our lives. Since the greatest influence on earth is a life flourishing in Jesus, God invites us to influence the media, not be influenced by it.
Matt Friend • Lead Pastor
P.S. As a friendly reminder… our TV services are aired from the previous week.
A 3-week series to help us discern the role of media in our lives.
AUGUST 20 & 23
Social Media & Me (Matthew 5)
AUGUST 27 & 30
How to Manage Your Media (Matthew 6)
SEPTEMBER 3 & 6
Taking Your Spiritual Temperature (Matthew 7)
Outdoor Work Day at Mary C. Snow West Side Elementary
Thursday, August 27 | 3-5 PM | Bring gloves, rakes, shovels, and a fun attitude! Meet at Mary C. Snow. Just show up!
3 Ways to Find Belonging
Whether you’re ready to attend in person or you’re still more comfortable at home, there are several ways to connect and find community.
- Visit our Groups web page and choose an in-person or online group that fits you best.
- Join our brand new Online Group, led by Matt Garrison.
- Become a part of our Bible Center Facebook Group where you can connect with others, join in conversations, and even enjoy some random questions (and maybe even some corny jokes!) from Online Campus Pastor Matt Garrison.
Laughter on the Lawn
Friday, September 4 | 6:30-8:30 PM | North Lawn | Come join women of all ages and stages of life as we hang out together and enjoy some social distanced fun. This event is BYO—bring your own chair, snacks, friends, and games!
Coming Up in Children’s Ministry
- September 6 | Move Up Sunday
- Now-November | Every Wednesday | Fun activities outside with devotional/discipleship time.
Middle School Ministry (MSM)
Meet in the Middle | Wednesdays, now to September 9 | 6:30-8:00 PM | Middle School students will meet outdoors at the church for games, a short devotional, and hanging out with friends!
High School Ministry (HSM)
- Wednesday, September 16 | 7:30-9:00 PM | Kick-off at the RIM (school campus)
- Wednesday, September 30 | 7:30-9:00 PM | Alive (Night of Worship) at the RIM (school campus)
Bible Center School
BCS Employment Opportunities
If you are interested in the following positions, email Stephanie Schafer.
- Part-time Aftercare (Days are flexible; 3:15-5:30 PM)
- Substitute Teachers (Mondays-Fridays, 7:30 AM-3:30 PM). Days are flexible.
Athletic Coaches Needed
As BCS prepares for the Fall, several coaches are needed. Many of our coaches were parents of 8th grade students who have graduated. If you are interested in the following positions or know someone who may be a good fit, please email Stephanie Schafer or Dick Riffe. They would love to sit down and talk about what it means to coach middle school students at BCS!
- Cheerleading Coach
- Girls Basketball Coach & Assistant Coaches
- Boys Basketball Assistant Coach
- Track Coach & Assistant Coaches
WVAH-TV Fox 11