Begins Thursday, August 20
Here are five quotes to guide our thinking:
- “Whoever controls the media controls the mind.” –Jim Morrison
- “A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.” –Winston Churchill
- “Social media has given us this idea that we should all have a posse of friends when, in reality, if we have one or two really good friends, we are lucky. –Brené Brown
- “The media is the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that’s power. Because they control the minds of the masses.” –Malcolm X
- “Don’t believe everything you read on the internet just because there’s a picture with a quote next to it.” –Abraham Lincoln
Okay… That last quote is a farce, but you get the idea.
If one of the greatest needs of our day is understanding our place on social media, and properly discerning the role of all media in our lives, there’s no better instruction for us than Jesus’ inspired words in the Sermon on the Mount. For ages, the Church has used this famous sermon as a discipleship manual.
The greatest influence on earth is a life flourishing in Jesus. Therefore, Jesus invites us to influence the media, not be influenced by it.
Visit the series page for schedule and resources.