About the Series
Here are five quotes to guide our thinking:
- “Whoever controls the media controls the mind.” –Jim Morrison
- “A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.” –Winston Churchill
- “Social media has given us this idea that we should all have a posse of friends when, in reality, if we have one or two really good friends, we are lucky. –Brené Brown
- “The media is the most powerful entity on earth. They have the power to make the innocent guilty and to make the guilty innocent, and that’s power. Because they control the minds of the masses.” –Malcolm X
- “Don’t believe everything you read on the internet just because there’s a picture with a quote next to it.” –Abraham Lincoln
Okay… That last quote is a farce, but you get the idea.
If one of the greatest needs of our day is understanding our place on social media, and properly discerning the role of all media in our lives, there’s no better instruction for us than Jesus’ inspired words in the Sermon on the Mount. For ages, the Church has used this famous sermon as a discipleship manual.
The greatest influence on earth is a life flourishing in Jesus. Therefore, Jesus invites us to influence the media, not be influenced by it.
Messages in this Series
It’s our prayer that, as a result of this series, we will:
- Show mercy to others by extending patience, compassion, and forgiveness.
- Resolve to be peace-makers and reconcilers; not pot-stirrers or haters.
- Be a light and example to others on social media by living the Golden Rule.
- Learn the art of civil discourse.
- Sift our daily news through the filter of Jesus’ promises.
- Resist the urge to unfairly judge others, especially on a public forum.
- Resist the urge to be a purveyor of fake news and conspiracy theories.
- Spend more time with Jesus than consuming main stream media.
- See our news and social media habits as a thermometer for our heart.
- Build our life on the rock of God’s promises, not the shifting sand of media.
It’s our prayer that, as a result of this series, we will feel:
- Shalom: a sense of overall wellness
- At rest in God’s redeemed family
- Humbled by God’s amazing grace
- At peace, knowing God doesn’t expect us to run the world
- Comforted by the precious promises of Jesus
- Hopeful that we will one day inherit the earth
- Satisfied with God’s many gifts to us
- Challenged to be a light in a dark world
- Secure that God knows us by name and holds our tomorrow
- Astonished at Jesus’ authority over all things (including our news outlets)
Where do you primarily get your news? Are you a TV news connoisseur? A Gazette subscriber? More of a Twitter or Facebook news aficionado? A Google News enthusiast? Talk radio devotee? Whatever the source, most of our news outlets…
This Week's Recommended Book September 3 & 6, 2020 - Sermon: Taking Your Spiritual Temperature Series: Media on the Mount Book: The Gospel According to Jesus: What Is...
Which platform do you use most… Facebook? Twitter? Instagram? Snapshot? TikTok? Myspace? If you picked Myspace, I want to meet you. You’re likely the most faithful person on the planet! How can we best leverage…
This Week's Recommended Book August 27-30, 2020 - Sermon: How to Manage Your Media Series: Media on the Mount Book: A Gentle Answer: Our 'Secret Weapon' in an Age of Us...
This Week's Recommended Book August 20-23, 2020 - Sermon: Social Media and Me Series: Media on the Mount Book: A Way With Words by Daniel Darling
Begins Thursday, August 20 Here are five quotes to guide our thinking: “Whoever controls the media controls the mind.” –Jim Morrison “A lie gets halfway around the world...
- Weekend Bulletin (May 13-16, 2021)
- Resource | The Assurance of Salvation: Biblical Hope for Our Struggles
- Weekend Bulletin (May 6-9, 2021)
- Assured by God: Living in the Fullness of God’s Grace
- 6 Meditations to Fight Pornography (Part 3 of 3)
- Save the Date | VBS
- New Weekend Schedule Begins May 9
- Weekend Bulletin (April 29-May 2, 2021)
〉Bible Center School
A ministry of Bible Center Church, Bible Center School is a fully accredited preschool, lower, and middle school program providing an exceptional educational experience in preparation for the secondary level and college.