Welcome to church! According to SuccessResources.com, a great father displays the following 12 characteristics:
- He’s a good disciplinarian. He lovingly leads his children in right paths.
- He allows his kids to make mistakes, realizing that making mistakes is part of growing up.
- He’s open-minded, understanding that times, people, and tastes change over the years.
- He teaches his children to be grateful for what they have.
- He accepts that his kids aren’t exactly like him, but loves them anyway.
- He spends quality time with his children.
- He leads by example, never playing the “do as I say, not as I do” card.
- He’s supportive and loyal.
- He challenges his kids to be the best they can be.
- He molds his kids into well-rounded members of society.
- He protects his family at all costs, doing whatever he can to make sure they have what they need to feel safe.
- He shows unconditional love. Even though he gets upset at the poor choices his children may make, he loves his children no matter what.
All of us have room for growth. Most fathers (me included!) have room to grow in multiple areas.
Thankfully, Jesus exemplifies what it means to be “fatherly.” This morning we’ll see that he is the “Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace” (Isaiah 9:6). Remember… hope has a name, and His name is Jesus!
Matt Friend • Senior Pastor
Please note that church offices will be closed Dec. 25-Jan 1.
Save the Date: Upcoming Core Class
Praying with Purpose and Perspective • Friday, Jan. 11 • 6:30-9 PM • Worship Center • Register by Jan. 7 to ensure adequate materials are available.
BIBLE CENTER SCHOOL
- Part-Time After Care Attendant • Thursdays – Fridays 3-5:30 PM. Contact Stephanie Schafer: (304) 941-1704.
- Part-Time Preschool Aide • Contact Machelle Huffman: (304) 941-1710.
Middle School Ministry
Starting Jan. 6, Middle Schoolers will meet during both the 9 AM and 11 AM services each Sunday in the Middle School Room (#1105). These meetings will be identical, so choose the one that best fits your schedule.
Happy Birthday, Jesus Party (K-5th)
Sunday, Dec. 23 • 9 & 11 AM • BASE Camp (Rm. 1102) • Bring the kids, and invite a friend or neighbor to celebrate the birth of Christ through music, games, and videos on this special day.
Dodgeball Tournament (3rd-5th)
Saturdays • Jan. 12-Feb. 2 • RAM Center, Bible Center School • Gather your friends, name your team, and sign up! Each team needs 4-6 players, but each person must register separately by Dec. 29 (for emergency information). Cost: $5 for a pizza party on the last day!
BASE Camp Pajama Party (K-5th)
Sunday, Dec. 30 • 9 & 11 AM • Rm. 1102 • Your kids have played and celebrated Christmas, and we want to help you move their young bodies and minds back into BASE Camp. Getting your kids up and out of bed has just gotten simpler! Bring them in their Christmas PJs for games, a lesson, and food. Come take a break and worship as we help your child learn about Jesus while having fun.
Register today or email Michelle Thompson to get more info on any of these serving opportunities:
- Union Mission Crossroads Dinner • Thursday, Dec. 27 • 4 PM • Christmas will be past—but there will still be hungry people to feed. Help by donating supplies (needed at church by Dec. 20) or by making a monetary donation. Volunteers needed to help serve. Questions? Contact Sheri.
- Help with home repairs in Clendenin. We will be sending work teams. Sign up if you’d like to join. All experience levels welcome.
- Drive a City Bus route to pick up people for Sunday church service.
- Help at a Warming Station for the homeless on nights when it drops below 0° F. Volunteer to cook large pots of homemade soup, work check-in, or assess for frostbite (medical professionals).
- Deliver furniture to foster families and the newly re-housed (homeless) population – we are seeking drivers who own trucks.
- Tutor children on weekday afternoons who are living in local homeless shelters.